Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!!

Jon and I rang in the New Year like real adults, at a real bar listening to real live music. It was great! But before we did we threw our own little party for the kids celebrating the end of one year and beginning of the next. From party hats, to fireworks, goals for 2010 and a countdown it was a complete New Years Eve bash! The fact that the countdown was at 7:00 was only a minor detail that no one seemed bothered by.

Standing in front of our 2010 wall. (Jon and I were on our way out the door. I don't tend to hang around the house in party dresses and high heel boots, much to Jon's disappointment ~ and Katie's ;)

Jon in his very manly New Years Eve hat.


Will getting ready for the countdown.



Writing on the wall. This is our 2010 wall. There are three different sections. 1) In 2010 I WILL ... 2) In 2010 I WILL NOT ... and 3) In 2010 I want ...
I was really impressed with some of the things the kids came up with. Some of my favorites are:
In 2010 I want: to go out into outer space (Will)

In 2010 I will: make us late for school everyday (Katie). She meant to write it on the WILL NOT poster, but it's just so fitting that she put it in the 'will' poster. She does make them late everyday and it looks like that is not going to change anytime soon.

In 2010 I will NOT: listen to Camryn scream (Ben).

In 2010 I will NOT: scream at Mommy (Kate).


Jon and I contributed as well. Having goals written on the wall for all to see, and to remind yourself, makes it all seem quite binding. In 2010 I will compete in a triathlon ... guess I need to start training now that I've put that in writing huh? Jon said he was going to work less, sleep more and exercise. We are going to hold him to that.

Here are the hats we made. It was very fun breaking out the glue gun and getting rid of some of the wrapping accessories we have hanging around the house. These hats are left over from Kate's fourth birthday party, I guess being a pack rat has its advantages.

Jon and I stopped by a friend's house before heading out to Beantown (yes, as in Boston) Tavern. It felt very comforting being around all that Red Sox paraphernalia. The band we saw ~ Cloud Nine ~ was excellent! I was very impressed, especially since the drummer is Jon's trim carpenter. Many thanks to Mom to allow us to ring in the new year in adult fashion! One of the best things about 2010 ... the new no smoking rule in bars and restaurants!! YAY!! We don't get out that much, but it will be nice not coming home smelling like an ash tray when we do. Congrats to North Carolina for finally getting with the program, it's only about a decade later than the rest of the country, but this IS the south.

No comments: