Friday, November 6, 2009

Rasing Readers

Kate jumps into the car after school one day and exclaims "Mom, I got my Reading Record today!" ... "YAY! I'm so proud of you Katie!" I exclaim. As we drive away, Katie and Claire (a friend we car pool with) begin their normal 'on the way home' chatter, talking about their day, comparing the contents of their school bags and just being silly five year old girls. Listening to them a tear rolls down my cheek. Katie can read. Really read. I am heartbroken. Last year when Ben brought home his reading record for the first time I was so proud of him. What exciting times lie ahead as the world of literature unfolds in front of him. My first born reading, I was so happy for the little guy. But this time I'm sad. Not sad for Kate of course, she too is on the cusps of unlimited knowledge and imagiative places that reading will bring her. I'm just sad that she CAN read. That I have TWO school aged kids that can read. It's wonderful I know, but it has all happened so fast. I still see them (Ben and Katie) as I see Will and Camryn. A preschooler and a toddler. Forever annoying the heck out of each other and getting into everything. The world itself a magical place, growing and learning but still very much dependant on me for everything. I can't believe that inquisitive preschooler and funny blonde toddler are now in school and reading, and doing math, and science and speaking more Spanish than I ever will. How did this all happen?
Growing up there was a comic strip my mom put on our refrigerator that depicted a mom tucking-in her little boy for the night explaining "No dear, there is no pause button." As a teenager I always thought it was the stupidest thing I've ever read (Duh! Of course there is no pause button in life.) I always thought my mom was a little off her rocker to have taped it up there: surely mom isn't so dumb that she thinks there is a pause button and needs some stupid comic strip to remind her that's not true right?! Now I totally get it. (And as always, Mom was right;)

No comments: