Monday, December 27, 2010

Making Memories


See this motley crew? This is my kids and ALL their cousins. Nine kids under nine. My four, Kim + Brian's three, and Chris + Kristine's two. How wonderful that we got to spend the Christmas season with them all together?! Kim and Brian live in Maine, so for them to be here was pretty darn special. It was a week our kids will never forget.


 We made cookies with Ma.

 Will and Zoe were in charge of the flour station. They took their flour measuring job very seriously ... well as serious as four year olds take things anyway.

I had the brilliant idea of making pretzel log cabins instead of gingerbread houses this year. Isn't that beyond creative? In the past the adults have done all the
'building' and the kids just got to decorate. Why not let the kids build? My kids LOVE to build. Log cabins made of pretzel sticks and frosting. Brilliant. 

Except it wasn't. Guess who did all the building? The adults. Pretzel log cabins are not as easy as one (by one I mean me) would think. Especially when you run out of royal icing mix. And get this: round pretzels roll. I know. It was news to me too. And quite frustrating to us all as we tried to build log cabins.

Yup, I'm full of great ideas.


 But we made the most of it. And the kids still enjoyed decorating the houses.

 And the adults had fun testing their building skills. And patience. I always say that a day you aren't challenged is a wasted day.
Ok, so I've never said that. But it's not a bad thought. I would also say that a day without challenges sure would be relaxing and enjoyable. But that's not life in our neck of the woods so let's just go with the first.
Ok.
Moving on.
(Maybe I should have titled this post: Random Ramblings)

 I won't mention any names but BRIAN cheated and used cardboard to reinforce the house he, Kate and Zoe worked on. Leave it to Brian to erase our most valuable lesson we try to impress upon our kids ... 'there is no shame in failure as long as you learn from your mistakes'. Trust me, I live this everyday. For example, next year we will be decorating gingerbread houses. (Thanks for keeping it real Bri.)

Then they all snuggled up on Christmas Eve to listen to Kim read The Polar Express. It was a tear jerker.

Well maybe it was just Kim and I that got a little emotional seeing all our babies up there on the most exciting night of the year. It was so sweet. And loving.

And quiet.

 And then, the day after Christmas we got snow! Lots of snow!! For us at least. It hasn't snowed in Charlotte on Christmas (or the day after) since 1947. Way cool.

 It was a week full of laughter, love, sharing and fun. There were also some tears and arguments and not so great moments, but overall it was wonderful.
Ben summed it up when he said "This is the best Christmas ever! But not because of the presents we got. I think it's because Nolan and Zoe (and Maya) are here."
You nailed it buddy. After all, isn't that what it's all about? Love and family.
We miss them all already.  

No comments: