Wednesday, December 9, 2009

More DC

Our second day in DC started off at the Lincoln memorial. Washington and Lincoln are the only two presidents Ben and Kate have studied in school (so far), so it was important we spend lots of time at the Lincoln memorial. The kids were most impressed by the shear size of the statue, but personally I was moved by his speeches and dedication to end slavery. Jon and I had a lot of fun 'relearning' all sorts of American History thanks to this trip. The week before we left we brushed up on our early presidents, their lives, how they died, what they did for our country etc etc. As much as I enjoyed history in high school (ok, so I hated it) ... I would love to take a course today.



At the American History Museum. Look out world here come the first brother/sister Presidential duo.


Camryn was upset she couldn't get to the games. She's trying to push the glass away.


The transportation wing was a favorite for everyone. Will loved all the trucks, trains and cars. He would have stayed there all day if he had had his way.


Future engineer Ben LOVED all the machinery. The rest of us were tired, and honestly a little bored by this department, but not Ben. You could just see his own gears turning as he tried to figure out how EACH AND EVERY machine worked.

Our last stop for the day was the capital building. One of the greatest things for me was seeing all the amazing architecture. The buildings are truly breathtaking. The one thing I did not get to do in DC was run, there just wasn't time. Someday I am getting back there and doing a tourist run through the city. I am still dreaming about it at night.

Kate on Capital Hill.


Kate and Cam bustin' a move at a cafe before we hit the road to New York. I love this picture of the two of them. You put a single step in a restaurant and my kids make it a stage. I don't know where they get this performing gene from but it's quite entertaining!

Watching people walk to work on Monday morning. They were shocked when I told them that you don't even need to own a car when you live in the city.


No comments: